Reputation Management & Defamation
With websites and social media instantly relaying rumours to millions, today, more than ever, it’s vital to guard your reputation.
At Hamlins we have extensive experience of protecting individual and corporate reputations. Our focus is on preventing damage by engaging with the media, and working closely with your representatives to prevent allegations from spreading. Through working for, as well as against, the media we have a deep understanding of how the sector operates. So we can engage with journalists, editors and their lawyers to deter them from making false allegations.
Of course, newspapers and websites publish late at night and over the weekend. We are available out of hours to act immediately if your reputation is under attack.
Preventing damage is our primary objective. But at times it’s necessary to take action to remedy unfair coverage. We are recognised by independent researchers as experts in defamation and have won numerous actions against publishers and broadcasters.
We achieve success through strategy and pressure, while recognising your need to remedy harm efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Acting as lead Solicitor for Claimants in the phone-hacking litigation against The Sun and the News of the World now representing over 90 phone-hacking victims bringing claims against the News of the World and The Sun for unlawful information gathering and voicemail interception. For more information see the phone hacking service.
- Representing Ziauddin Yousafzai, father of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai who was seriously defamed by Asian network broadcaster, ARY.
- Acting for Penguin Random House, major UK and international book publisher, advising on libel and other legal problems for their biographies and autobiographies.
- Representing husband and wife in a ground-breaking privacy claim suing Channel 5 for one of its flagship programmes, ‘Can’t Pay? We’ll take it away”.
- Representing businessman Vladimir Sloutsker in a claim against Russian blogger, Olga Romanova as part of a long running libel action.
- Acting on behalf of the CEO of a Northern football team when they experienced the press threatening to publish stories. The team took preventative action to avoid publication of any damaging allegations.
- Advising a Pharmaceutical client with on-going pre-publication advice and action against a National newspaper. The newspaper was threatening to publish a story alleging client involvement in the abuse of animals for product manufacture, which Hamlins successfully prevented.
- Acting for an international non-profit against a national broadcaster in an on-going potential defamation case relating to allegations broadcast in a programme on Radio 4 of misappropriation of funds intended for foreign aid welfare projects.
- Advising on an on-going basis a high ranking individual within the Conservative party on media matters.
- Advising a private individual who made a complaint against a doctor regarding allegations made by the doctor in the course of the proceedings.
- Advising our client, which provides a service advising foreigners who wish to settle in the UK, on allegations of large payments to private schools, made by a national media publication.
- Advising a Russian individual on allegations made by the national media of Russian funding of seminars within the UK.
- Advising Timothy Buckland, General Counsel at PetroSaudi, who is seeking to deter publication on a website published from the UK which contains a range of highly defamatory and private information.