We work with numerous sporting disciplines and have a strong and established sports client base, consisting of national governing bodies, high-profile sports people, sports agents, commercial organisations, ticketing companies, high-profile charities, bookmakers and many others. We have worked in-house for sports organisations and the largest global player agency. We also have FA qualified advisors with experience of advising players on high profile transfers and arrangements. Our team has experience of advising international foundations, rights owner, agencies, brands and personalities. We work within numerous sporting disciplines including football, boxing, rugby, tennis, motorsport, cricket, rowing and triathlon. We are specialists in:
- structuring of commercial rights programmes.
- event organisation.
- reputation management.
- sponsorship and endorsement agreements.
- player contracts.
- contractual disputes.
- the exploitation and protection of commercial rights, including infringement and anti-counterfeiting issues.
- employment contracts, player arrangements and disputes.
- brand and image management.
- sports governance.
- social media.
- the drafting of rules and regulations including appeals procedures.
- dispute resolution (including mediation and expert determination).
Youth Sport Trust Preferred Supplier
Hamlins are the Youth Sport Trust (YST) preferred supplier for legal services. If you are a YST member school and require any legal advice please see more information at YST legal helpline. Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7355 6000.
See more information on the Youth Sport Trust preferred suppliers
- The English Cricket Board – Provided strategic advice regarding the ongoing public crisis encountered by Durham County Cricket Club, in which the Durham CCC was potentially going to go insolvent. See the SkySports and BBC coverage.
- Tie Break Tens– Acting as lead legal adviser on the structuring, protection and growth of an exciting new tennis format and series. Acted for the redraft of all Player Option Agreements and negotiation of agreements with key tennis players including Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka, Kei Nishikori and Maria Sharapova.
- Shoreseeker Challenge – Acting as sole legal adviser to the global ocean rowing boat challenge, providing advice on IP structuring, risk management, race regulations, insurance and the launch and growth of the series.
- Youth Sport Trust – Acting for various sponsorship and partner programmes in particular advising YST on their partnerships relating to IP protection and structuring of commercial rights to ensure YST’s brand image and copywriting content was protected.
- Youth Sport Direct – Providing legal support and advice, including advising on legal compliance and input upon commercial arrangements.
- British Wheelchair Basketball – Providing a redraft of their Codes of Conduct and disciplinary procedures, enhancing the control and management of the sport.
- UK Sport and the British Judo Association – reviewing the circumstances in which the BJA lost the right to stage the European Judo Union’s European Judo Championships in 2015. See the Inside the Games and Sports Management coverage.
- Advising a large sporting governing body when faced with a well-known team breaching key regulations and subsequently defending the claim. Provided drafts of pleadings, strategy advice and day to day management of the claim.
- Representing an F1 Team on a number of commercial and litigation matters including provision of advice in connection with a guarantee, provision of advice in connection with sponsorship and driver arrangements, gaming advice and various other matters.
- Phone hacking and reputation management – Acting for various sports people and individuals associated with the sports industry.
- Fine & Country Limited – Providing ongoing advice to the owners of the UK’s largest polo event in connection with the organisation and exploitation of the event.
- Portsmouth FC – Negotiation of a sponsorship and commercial partnership agreement.
- International Cricket Council and the All England Tennis Club – Acting for ticketing suppliers in disputes to identify ticket seller information.
- Assisting Lotus F1 and its drivers with regulatory requirements for India Grand Prix.
- PlayFootball – Acting in relation to commercial and intellectual property matters including a merchandising and online store contract with Adidas.
- Ipswich Town FC – Advising on a claim against Suffolk Police for overpayment of police charge for policing matches. The outcome could ultimately impact the manner in which all football games are policed in the UK moving forward. See the BBC and ITV coverage.