Hospitality & Leisure
Hospitality and Leisure
We have a thorough understanding of the commercial environment in which our hospitality and leisure clients operate. Some of our team have come from industry, and others have worked on secondment in the sector, so we know the issues.
Our clients range from household names to business start-ups, and include entrepreneurs and investors. They include hotel operators, pubs, bars, restaurants, sports clubs, and holiday and travel businesses all over the world.
We have a team of experienced lawyers who regularly assist our clients in this sector on real estate, construction, disputes, corporate, commercial and intellectual property matters.
Our expertise in this sector is recognised in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
High Street Brands
We have particular expertise in rolling out high street brands through acquiring and developing brands and sites for new restaurants, hotels, pubs, bars and clubs across the UK. During various phases of their development we have helped Ping Pong, Leon, Rocket, Ego, Harry Ramsden’s, Bella Italia, Café Rouge and others.
Our long standing hotel clients include both boutique operators and global brands. We regularly advise on development of hotels, with particular experience in luxury hotel developments in central London. We also advise on the refinancing and structuring of hotels, as well as day-to-day operational issues and disputes.
Our work in the travel sector includes guidance on the latest Package Travel Directive, health and safety, pricing, licensing and consumer issues; and the use of personal data and social media. We advise on commercial disputes between companies in the travel industry encompassing a range of issues including sales and promotional activities, breach of service and software agreements, and brand protection issues. Many of these have an important regulatory angle and international aspects. We also act for the trade in defending consumer claims and class actions, and are an ABTA Travel Industry Partner.
- Acting for Park Plaza Hotels and citizenM Hotels in connection with the acquisition and construction of new hotels in London.
- Acting for Draft House, a group of modern London public houses in connection with their ongoing expansion in central London.
- Advising well-known restaurant chains Leon, Ping Pong, Rocket and Ego on their ongoing expansion and roll-out of new venues.
- Advised on all real estate aspects of a £55m acquisition of 29 bingo Halls.
- Advising Playfootball, a leading provider of football venues, for competitive leagues on the roll-out of sports centres and 5-a-side football centres across England and the acquisition of 3 football sites.
- Advising Burhill Golf Group including the rollout of their Adventure Golf brand.
- Assisting the team acting on behalf of a worldwide major international hotel group on a broad spectrum of commercial and operational disputes.
- Advising a large international holiday company on numerous individual and group litigation claims in connection with timeshare holiday products.
- Acting for a travel client in connection with damages claim arising out of a software agreement.
Commercial and Intellectual Property
- Representing the Kornicis Group on its branding and advising on its Trade Mark portfolio and protection strategies. Kornicis Group includes well-known brands Jamies Wine Bars, Smollenskys, Henry J. Beans and its new venture Boca Cayo.
- Advising PlayFootball, a leading provider of football venues, in relation to commercial and intellectual property matters including a merchandising and online store contract with Adidas.
- Acting on behalf of a global hotel chain in relation to the infringement of a Trade Mark by two hotels and restaurants owned by the hotel chain under a separate brand. The firm acted for the hotel chain putting forward a Defence and then negotiating a commercially acceptable settlement, allowing a rebrand with no damages or costs.
- Acting for a well-known health club chain on redrafting their terms and conditions.
- Advised Palace Capital plc on the acquisition of O&H Northampton Limited and bringing the popular Northampton Sol Central leisure complex into the client’s portfolio.
- Advised Palace Capital plc on the acquisition of Gregory Projects (Halifax) Limited, bringing Broad Street Plaza, yet another popular leisure complex into the client’s portfolio.
- Advised Majestic Bingo Limited with respect to the acquisition of the businesses and assets of six bingo clubs in the Top Ten portfolio. The client is an SPV formed by Hamlins client Luke Johnson and this transaction was pivotal in his plans to create a significant Bingo group within the leisure sector.