Phone Hacking: the lastest updates16th May 2014
Former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman returned to the witness box in the phone-hacking criminal trial this week, after a two-month break, and during his testimony some significant evidence concerning the royal family was revealed. In addition, Trinity Mirror’s chairman spoke out about the alleged hacking at its newspapers.
If you would like to discuss any issues concerning phone-hacking, or if you think you may have been a victim of phone hacking, please contact Christopher Hutchings.
- Clive Goodman, former royal editor at the News of the World, returned to Court to give evidence this week after a two-month break due to ill health.
- Andy Coulson’s lawyer, Timothy Langdale QC, put it to Mr Goodman that he had not been truthful about the scale of phone hacking at the News of the World, when he told the Court two months ago that he had only been involved in hacking the phones of three royal aides, equerry Mark Dyer and Tom Parker Bowles.
- Mr Langdale presented a ‘schedule’ to the Court that showed Mr Goodman had hacked the phone of Kate Middleton 155 times in 2005 and 2006. The figures also apparently demonstrated that in the same period, Mr Goodman hacked Prince William 35 times, and Prince Harry 9 times.
- Mr Goodman did not dispute the figures. He said that the police had not previously revealed the extent of phone hacking in order to protect the ‘discretion’ of certain figures, including members of the royal family.
- Mr Goodman and the private detective Glenn Mulcaire were jailed in 2007 for phone hacking.
- Mr Coulson and Mr Goodman are jointly charged with conspiring to commit misconduct in public office in regards to payments to police guarding the royal family. They deny the charges. Mr Coulson also denies conspiring to hack phones.
- The case continues.
- Trinity Mirror, publisher of the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and People, said in a trading statement this week that it ‘will not accept wrongdoing and takes all allegations [of phone hacking and bribery] seriously.’
- Trinity Mirror chairman David Grigson later said at the company’s AGM that, in response to phone-hacking allegations, ‘very extensive investigations have been undertaken, short of ripping up the floorboards…’.
No win, no fee compensation for phone-hacking victims is being sought by phone-hacking lawyers at Hamlins (http://www.hamlins.co.uk/index.php/hamlins-phone-hacking-lawyers-seek-compensation-operation-pinetree-claims-victims/). If you would like to discuss any issues concerning the trial or have been notified under Operation Weeting or Operation Pinetree, please contact Christopher Hutchings.