Laura is an Associate in the Commercial Disputes Team.
Laura is experienced in acting for private and public companies as well as individuals in a range of disputes which have included commercial contracts, professional negligence and indemnity, fraud, product liability, property and commercial agency. Many of her cases involve an international element.
Laura is commercially minded and understands the need to resolve disputes cost-effectively. She has first-hand experience of the effectiveness of alternative dispute resolution, having led many without prejudice meetings and mediations.
Key cases include:
- Acting for numerous claimants in the phone-hacking litigation against The Sun, News of the World and Mirror Group in claims for unlawful information gathering and voicemail interception.
- Acting for a property development company in relation to a contractual dispute for the recovery of substantial service charges. The case has involved highly complicated and protracted litigation and proceedings in the High Court and Property Chamber.
- Acting on behalf of a football club in a claim against a firm of contractors for the substandard design and installation of a FIFA 2* football pitch. The substandard pitch led to serious drainage and levelling issues which resulted in the cancellation of match fixtures.
- Handling a portfolio of professional negligence claims (largely against solicitors and valuers) for leading lending institutions, achieving collective settlements in excess of £2 million.
- Key team member in the case of Barclays Bank PLC v Christie Owen & Davies Ltd  EWHC 2351 (Ch), a multi-million pound professional negligence claim in which my client was the winning party.
- Handling a group litigant claim issued in the High Court and a group complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service in two similar claims where individual clients invested a combined sum of £2.5 million in unauthorised collective investment schemes which later transpired to be scams.
- Advising on a successful injunction application for a freezing order and a subsequent professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors and a claim for an indemnity from the Land Registry.
- Representing a large Belgian company in a contractual dispute concerning the supply of farming equipment to a UK client.
- Representing an aviation maintenance company in a contractual dispute in which the aircraft at the centre of the dispute had been removed from the jurisdiction. A claim was issued for breach of contract, trespass and conversion.
- Successfully defending a claim at the Land Registration First Tier Tribunal to maintain a banking client’s security over a property that had been wrongly transferred to the customer’s wife in family proceedings.
- Representing an American e-commerce company following the hacking of a director’s email account which resulted in the loss of over USD100,000.
Laura trained and qualified at the regional law firm Matthew Arnold & Baldwin LLP (“MAB”). She was admitted as a solicitor in 2012. In 2016, Laura joined Dentons UKMEA LLP following its takeover of the litigation practice of MAB. Laura joined Hamlins as an Associate in December 2017.
Laura attended the University of Reading where she studied Law and subsequently completed her LPC at the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice.