John regularly advises clients on a variety of real estate transactions, including portfolio acquisitions and disposals, development issues, refinancings and management matters, where he regularly acts for both landlords and tenants.
He acts for a broad range of clients from international retail brands to institutional property investors to high net worth individuals. He regularly works in a variety of market sectors, including retail, hotels and leisure, healthcare and light industrial.
John qualified in September 2011 and joined Hamlins in June 2017.
- Leading the acquisition of a c.£23m hotel complex in Newcastle for an active real estate investment fund.
- Acting for an aggregates business on the purchase of a number of complementary, down-stream production sites for c.£300m.
- Working closely with a large international fund in the rolling development of over 12 green field sites into a distinct healthcare brand.
- Advising a large German fund on rights of light issues associated with its planned re-development of a prime London asset.
- Acting on the c.£178m acquisition of a majority shareholding in a shopping centre complex development in north London for a Canadian based pension fund.
- Advising a consortium of City lenders on the refinancing of a significant portfolio of commercial airport sites across Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted.
John read History at Caius College, Cambridge, graduating with an honorary scholarship. Remaining at Cambridge, he went on to complete an Mphil in History. John subsequently obtained a Graduate Diploma in Law and completed the Legal Practice Course, for which he received a distinction.
John trained at Travers Smith LLP, qualifying as a solicitor in September 2011 into the firm’s Real Estate Group.
In April 2014, he founded and ran his own legal consultancy practice, working closely with a number of law firms and clients across the City.
John joined Hamlins in June 2017.
“John is a focused and commercially-oriented advisor, always clear on our objectives and active in ensuring successful outcomes are delivered in accordance with agreed timescales. He is always ready and available to answer queries and his service delivery is cogent and direct. A valued member of our external legal team”
Richard Starr, Executive Director, Palace Capital plc
“I recently worked with John on the acquisition of our new head office building. In the brief time we have worked together, John has consistently been a dependable honest individual, who was more than capable of taking control of a big project and executing it to the fullest. In addition to this he was a pleasure to work with and always maintained a cheerful mentality in the face of daunting deadlines. Rarely do you come across someone who is talented at both big picture ideas and executing the small details whilst always being available to lend a hand – John is just that person.”
Financial Director, major international distributor