Charles is a Partner and Head of the Real Estate Finance Team.
Charles specialises in Real Estate Finance, particularly development finance and investment finance, acting for borrowers, senior lenders and for mezzanine financiers on development and investment loans. Charles is happy acting on complex structured financings but also enjoys completing vanilla lending where his commercially focussed approach is appreciated by clients.
Charles’ roots are in investment and development property where he has acted on acquisitions, developments, disposals, sales and leasebacks, lettings, surrenders and all aspects of property investment management. Charles learned the property skills first and built finance skills on that base. Charles prides himself on being down to earth and approachable and places extreme importance on the value of his working relationships.
- Advising an AIM listed real estate investment plc on its financing of share acquisitions, revolving credit facilities and asset purchases
- Advising an off-shore trust company in relation to the building of a 76 flat scheme in Putney, co-ordinating the £20m finance, property purchase, planning, affordable housing and construction elements (August 2014).
- Advising a development lender on site acquisition finance in respect of a substantial river front property close to the Houses of Parliament. The deal was interesting in that the affordable housing was provided in a separate (albeit relatively close by site) and in that the S106 agreement included works to repair the Thames river wall.
- Advising a development lender in relation to the finance and construction of a £25m loan secured on a 65 flat scheme in Kilburn.
- Advising a borrower in relation to a £30 million loan facility secured on a number of property assets and ongoing drawdowns to purchase new properties.
Richards Butler 1998-2007; Reed Smith LLP 2007-December 2014; Hamlins LLP January 2015 to present
University of Nottingham (1994) BA Law, Law and Economics
Charles is recommended in both the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners directories for his expertise in Real Estate Finance.
Charles is recommended in Chambers 2018 in which clients describe him as ‘very experienced and knowledgeable’ and say that he is ‘always available to take calls and nothing seems to be too much bother.’
Legal 500 2017
In Legal 500 2017 Charles’ ‘responsive, commercial and very proactive’ property finance practice and ‘outstanding team’ is noted for its ‘strength in depth and lightning-fast deal-making’.
In the Legal 500 2016 Charles was recommended for his expertise in property finance. He was noted for being ‘approachable’ and ‘particularly experienced in financing investment and development’.
The Property Finance team ‘led by Charles Bezzant’ was ‘knowledgeable’ and provides ‘accurate, timely and appropriate’ advice. “(Real Estate Finance, Legal 500 2015)
“Charles Bezzant is ‘a natural negotiator, strong technically, and always available and ready for action.” (Real Estate Finance, Legal 500 2013)
“Charles Bezzant is strong technically.” (Real Estate Finance, Legal 500 2012)
Chambers and Partners
Charles is “described as “very enthusiastic and client-focused” by impressed commentators. He has extensive experience advising both lenders and borrowers, often in development finance deals”. (Real Estate Finance, Chambers and Partners 2017)
“Clients praise Charles Bezzant’s technical ability, adding: “He gets things done, is enthusiastic and goes the extra mile.” He is experienced in a range of financial services, including structured financings, with a focus on development and investment matters. His clients include senior and mezzanine lenders.” (Real Estate Finance, Chambers and Partners 2015)
“Charles Bezzant heads the department and has a stable client base of financial institutions, including Bank Leumi. Clients highlight him as “a personable, approachable, proactive and committed” practitioner.” (Real Estate Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2014)
- Hamlins advise Shawbrook Bank on £22.4m loan to private landlord Desiman Ltd
Hamlins acted as finance counsel to Shawbrook Bank on a... Read more
- Hamlins advises on US$400m Mining Deal
Hamlins Corporate Team is delighted to announce that it has... Read more
- Four Hamlins’ Partners included in Super Lawyers 2015 list
Four Hamlins’ partners have been included in the London 2015... Read more
- Hamlins expands its Real Estate Finance offering
Recently appointed partner, Charles Bezzant, will be heading up the Hamlins... Read more
- Hamlins announces four lateral partner-level hires
Hamlins has announced the arrival of three additional lateral hire... Read more
a personable, approachable, proactive and committed practitioner. (Real Estate Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2014)
Charles Bezzant is ‘a natural negotiator, strong technically, and always available and ready for action. (Real Estate Finance, Legal 500 2013)