Antony is a Partner in the Commercial Disputes Team.
Antony’s core specialism is commercial litigation and property related litigation. He has nearly 20 years’ experience representing corporate clients, entrepreneurs, real estate funds and property investors.
Antony advises on a range of broad base commercial litigation including contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, claims involving company directors and real estate based litigation. Antony provides debt recovery and pre-insolvency advice to individuals and companies and has experience in other contentious areas including Health and Safety matters (Asbestos and Fire Regulatory prosecutions), and regulatory enforcement in the telecommunications industry. He also provides commercial assistance to travel businesses through the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA).
Antony assists clients to develop a strategy at an early stage of the litigation process and works with leading Counsel, experts and other professionals to provide clients with a complete litigation service all the way through to the conclusion of a case. He routinely litigates in the High Court Queen’s Bench and Chancery Divisions as well as across the country in the County Court. He has extensive experience of resolving disputes through mediation and other forms of ADR.
Specialist Practice Areas:
- Commercial litigation acting for companies, directors, shareholders and individuals
- Debt recovery and pre and post-insolvency for companies and individuals
- Property-related disputes including claims for breach of property contracts, development and option agreements, claims for damages for specific performance and declarations relating to real estate
- Domestic and worldwide freezing injunctions
- Regulatory cases involving premium rate telephone services
- Health and Safety, Breach of Planning and Fire Regulation prosecutions
- Advising a large international holiday company on numerous individual and group litigation claims in connection with timeshare holiday products.
- Acting for corporate client in multi-million pound debt recovery which included matters requiring a without notice application for a Freezing Injunction.
- Acting for individual clients in defending a harassment claim by former employee and co-shareholder including matters and issues in connection with the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
- Acting for client in the car parking industry in connection with disputed claim for unpaid electricity charges.
- Acting for client in the travel sector in connection with damages claim arising out of a software agreement.
- Acting for Spanish company in connection with a claim against them for damages for breach of contract arising out of the provision of a digital cinema system.
- Assisting the team acting on behalf of a worldwide major international hotel group on a broad spectrum of commercial disputes.
- Acting for large property group defending Prosecution for breaches of Fire Safety regulations.
- Acting for a company defending a claim brought by an individual which related to an explosion and fire on board an aircraft.
- Routinely acting for a number of different clients in connection with debt recovery, often including an international element, and dealing with obtaining Judgment and execution thereafter.
- Acting for various premium rate service providers in connection with proceedings brought by the PSA (the regulator for premium rate services).
- Acting for directors in relation to various property companies relating to claims out of a business collapse where the directors were being pursued personally. The claim included issues relating to: (i) breach of fiduciary duty; (ii) distribution of unlawful dividends; (iii) directors misfeasance and breach of duty; and (iv) misapplication of assets.
- Acting for a residents association in defending a claim for breach of covenant in connection with heating and hot water system in a substantial residential block.
- Acting and advising a client in connection with a dispute relating to a partnership and joint venture agreement concerning the purchase of commercial property.
- Acting for individual client in connection with Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustee Act matters concerning joint ownership of properties.
- Acting for substantial property group in connection with the enforceability of restrictions and restrictive covenants concerning a broadcasting facility for television and radio communications.
- Governor of Bank of Scotland v. Butcher (CA) (1998) (conflict of law; Rome Convention; relevant law applicable to contract of guarantee)
- Sir Alan Sugar v Associated Newspapers Ltd [Feb 2001]
- Cosmichome v Southampton City Council  EWHC 1378 (CH)
- Valley Grown Salads v Bassini  EWHC 1304 (QB)
- R v Advanced Environmental Services (unrep)
Antony qualified in 1998 and joined Hamlins in 2006, having been head of commercial litigation at his previous practice.
Antony obtained an LLB from London Guildhall University in 1993 and the Diploma in Legal Practice from the University of Bristol in 1995.
“We enjoy an excellent working relationship with him. He is extremely precise with his advice and his guidance has always been sound. We often become frustrated with the time it takes with legal process but Antony calms us down with his reasoned and rational approach. The Firm is extremely professional and conducts itself with concern for its clients.”
Director, Valley Grown Salads.
- Hamlins’ solicitor discusses the new EU Package Travel Directive in TravelMole
The travel market has changed dramatically since the original adoption... Read more